It is commonly known that the herniation of intervertebral disk presents itself in the form of the fibrous ring bulging, this bulging can develop up to its breakage, in the result of which the nucleus pulposus moves towards the bulging, up to its falling out into the spinal canal. As a result we have compression of the nerve terminals of the spinal cord, and in their turn they respond on this influence by severe pain, functioning of some internal organs may be disturbed. The herniation of intervertebral disk can be formed in any department of the spine, but most often it is formed in the cervical and the lumbar part of the spine. Physical exercises are the base for herniation treatment (except for the moment of pain management), they give an opportunity to restore the muscles corset and to improve the state of the ligamentous apparatus, and because of this to avoid recurrences of the disease.
Exciting causes of the herniation of an intervertebral disk
This problem cannot arise in a moment; it is a result of longstanding negative processes, which are running in the spine and in the whole body, and these processes last for many years. And the disease reveals itself after the influence of some provoking factor, which is some kind of the last straw, but it is not а cause of the disease. More often than not, improper lifting of some loads is this provoking factor, when the load is lifted by back, not by legs.
Degenerative processes, which take place in the discs, lead to the herniation of intervertebral disk. The reasons for these processes appearance are the following:
- Incorrect loading of spine. We talk not only about some loads lifting, but also about taking care about your correct posture, to work in comfortable position and so on. Disregard of these simple rules is an acceleration factor in destruction of the intervertebral discs;
- Lack of water in the body makes a very negative influence on connective tissue, including intervertebral discs. The main function of them is shock- absorbing function, which they can perform only if the quantity of water is sufficient, they take this water from the neighboring tissues. If the quantity of water is not sufficient, then the discs will dry out in a literal sense of this word, and it will increase the possibility of the herniation development;
- Absence of normal physical activity. It is a good reason why physical exercises are the base for the herniation treatment, but they are also necessary in the everyday life. Thanks to these exercises our muscle and ligaments of the spine are developing, their task is to keep the spine in the optimality state. Besides, intervertebral discs take their nourishment (they take necessary nutrients and get rid of unnecessary) by diffusion. Diffusion will run successfully, if there is some physical load, which improves the blood circulation. And the easiest way to create it is by physical exercises.
- A serious problem is also an unhealthy diet. The spine itself and its intervertebral discs need some particular elements, which can get into the organism only with food. The most important among them are well – known to all people: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and so on. If there is a deficit of the abovementioned elements, then bony tissue becomes weak and spongy, and intervertebral discs start to decay. So, good nutrition is simply necessary for a healthy back.
Main rules of performing exercises for herniation treatment
You should proceed to perform such exercises immediately after the pain syndrome has been removed. But you should obligatory follow some rules, otherwise physical exercises, if you have the herniation, will do you harm instead of good.
1. While choosing the exercises you should pay attention to your state and any pains should be absent. It is necessary because, bulging of the disc can move in any direction. You should perform exercises which do not cause you any discomfort, and only these exercises will be really effective for the herniation treatment. And if while performing the exercises you experience some light discomfort, it is necessary to perform these exercises, but you should perform them as carefully and precisely as possible. The exercises which cause sharp pain in the back while you perform them should be excluded. It is easy to understand that such exercises performing should be put on ice, but they can be a peculiar kind of a “diagnostician”. If after some time you repeat the exercise and it will cause you less pain, then you are on the right way.
2. At the initial stages you should avoid those exercises which presume “twisting” of the body.
3. Also you should avoid blows to the region of the spine, jumps and sharp jerks.
4. You should perform the exercises as often as it is possible during a day (2-6 times), but you need to divide the complex of exercises into several separate parts, which you will perform in different periods of time.
5. You must not apply a sharp force to the problematic areas of the spine.
6. You should start the exercise with minimum amplitude and load, and only after that to increase them gradually.
7. Do not try to recover during one day, during one moment “to set” all discs and all vertebrae together. The spine can be restored very carefully, and at the same time the blood circulation in the affected by the disease part of the spine should be improved gradually.
Exercises for treatment herniation in the lumbar part of the spine
In the majority of cases the herniation occurs particularly in the lumbar part of the spine. The complex of exercises such as below is a standard one and it is aimed at people who suffer from the herniation for a long time. But it should be taken into consideration that treatment is practically always individual, and it means that the physician caring for the patient can recommend some additional exercises to this complex. In general the aim of these exercises is to strengthen and to develop functional abilities of the spine, and also general training of the body muscles.
Lie down with your back on the floor, straighten your hands along the body, the legs should be in a slightly bent position. While performing this exercise you should not hold your breath. Tense the muscles of the abdomen, the abdomen must be hard. You can control your muscles if you put your hands on the abdomen. This exercise is done 10-15 times.
This exercise is also performed when you lie on your back; hands are straitened along your body. You should lift a little your body, at that your legs should stay on the floor all the time. This position should be kept for 10 seconds, after this you can slowly descend on the floor, returning to the initial position. After the exercise is done, you should have a short brake, not more than 10 seconds. This exercise you should repeat 10-15 times.
The initial position is lying on the back; your legs are to be bent a little. You should straighten your right hand ahead, placing the palm on the knee of the left leg. After that start to bend the left leg, while doing this, your right hand should maintain resistance to the left leg bending, not permitting it to reach the head. This exercise is done with some effort during 10 seconds, after which you can gradually and slowly return to the initial position. Then you should have some rest during 10-15 seconds. This exercise should be done 5-10 times, after that change the hand and the leg (the left hand is against the right leg), repeat the exercise 5-10 times more. During your rest you should relax the muscles of the body, hands and legs to the full extend.
Exercises for treatment herniation in the cervical part of the spine
The complex of the exercises given below is performed for treatment herniation in the cervical part of spine. But you should take into consideration that this part of spine is very “capricious” according to many aspects, so you should be very careful performing the exercises. Besides all exercises are selected individually, and your physician can add some more exercises to the below complex. Also these exercises cannot be done while sharp disease course, on the opposite, in this period it is necessary to put the retentive bandage, which will rest to the affected discs and vertebrae.
The given below complex of the exercises is aimed at the neck muscles elasticity restoration and vertebrae movability improvement.
You can do it when you sit or stand, hands are down along the body. You should turn the head to the right end position and after that to the left end position. This exercise is done 5-10 times. When you do its lighter variant, then little turns to the sides are enough.
The initial position is the same as in the previous exercise. You should slowly stoop your head, trying to press your chin to the breast. You should do it 5-10 times.
You can do it when you sit or stand, hands are down along the body. You should slowly throw your head back, at that it is necessary to draw in the chin. This exercise should be done 5-10 times.
It is necessary to draw your attention to the fact that you can do these exercises only after you have consulted your doctor. The above mentioned complexes of the exercises will not do you any harm while the spine herniation treatment, but only the doctor can take into consideration all individual factors of your case and to choose the most effective for you complex of the exercises.
Also, do not forget that exercises recommended after the operation of herniation removal can be slightly different from the above mentioned complexes.